1.What is your athletic/fitness background.
Played a lot of sport particularly netball growing up. Continued with social netball and got into horses later on and before children came along. Went back to a gym in my late forties feeling unfit and overweight. Lost the weight enjoyed it so much that I went and did my cert 3 & 4 in fitness at fifty years of age and started instructing classes.
2. What was your first experience with CrossFit?
First experience was a trial class at Salisbury that a friend took me to. Liked it but too far to travel.
3. When did you start CrossFit?
Officially started my Crossfit journey when Flourish opened.
4. Why did you choose CrossFit Flourish?
Main reason I chose Flourish was because it was close to home. I also knew Greg from working at Insports.
5. What keeps you coming back to Flourish?
I keep coming back to Flourish because I love the variety of the WODs and I love the friendly atmosphere. It has a professional approach to technique and safety but a great community spirit. There are no judgements, just lots of encouragement and enthusiasm when someone achieves a personal goal. It’s always a positive space!
6. What suburb/locality do you live in? (eg Jimboomba, Cedar Grove etc)
We live in Jimboomba and have been here for 24 years now.
7. Why do you live in/around Jimboomba – job? school? other?
We moved here from Victoria originally for my husbands work.
8. How do you like to spend your free time?
I’m a passionate AFL nut (St. Kilda is my team), so during footy season I love watching the games. I also love spending time with the family and our dogs.
9. What do you like about the Jimboomba area?
I like the space we have at Jimboomba, being semi rural.
10. What are one or two improvements you have seen in your life since starting CrossFit?
My attitude to trying new things has improved, I’m not scared to give anything a go, and I think that’s mainly because of my improved strength, endurance and mobility, I am more capable of doing different things now that I couldn’t do at the start.
11. What are your goals for 2017?
Work on my Pull-ups and Box Jumps so I can compete as in the Warrior division in the 2018 Masters League competition.
12. What would you say to someone thinking about starting CrossFit?
Come and have a go with no preconceived ideas! Try it and make your own judgement. It’s awesome.
13. What’s your favourite & least favourite CrossFit movement?
Least favourite Overhead Squats. Favourite is probably Bench Press for lifting and I love the challenge of a Hero WOD.
14. What’s your favourite cheat meal?
15. Anything else you would like to share with your Flourish family?
Just like to thank everyone at Flourish, our Fantastic coaches and all the crazies like me who keep coming back for more, for making it my favourite place to escape to!